Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gabriela Mejia




As I tried to figure out what the word community means to me I thought about people and the functions of society. But then I thought about circles. What is the symbolic implication of a circle? Can it be community? Where people as a whole become one? Where they decide to be part of the "circle of life"?
Thus I decided to paint a still life of bracelets. Not only are they worn around the wrist but the beads themselves are circular. Bracelets themselves act as communities. People wear them around their wrists not only as an accessory but as representational objects. Perhaps some were given out of love or as a memoir. We wear these objects because they mean something to us. In my painting, I decided to place these circular objects inside a square box to add irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment