Thursday, June 10, 2010

Caleb King




I was reading an article in Adbusters on how as a culture we are showing signs of regressing socially and losing critical thinking skills by spending extended time in digital media devices such as ipods, computers, texting vs. talking, etc.This communication breakdown is affecting more of the younger generation rather than the older simply because the younger ones embrace the tech much more openly and adapt very quickly. You can stop this by reading books, talk with people face to face, make eye contact and go outside without all the gadgets and leave your phone off. Basically, unplug.

Do you own the devices you use or do they own you?

2 comments:

  1. Good work Caleb!! I think this is an excellent addition to your portfolio. I love the rendering on the black suit she is wearing, is it like a strait jacket? There's a few things I am not crazy about. I love the rendering you did on the tip of the nose, but I am wondering about the bridge of the nose. It's feels too flat which in turn make the eyes look flat. My eyes are kind of like this girls (yeah, I am a cartoon...) so what I think it needs is more definition in the upper eyelids and the crease it makes between the eye and the nose. I hope that makes sense.

    From the graphic design perspective, since this ad is about technology, I suggest using a sci-fi font for the header. Try dafont.com, Spaceman, Zekton and Regata are some solid ones. For the copy, I think you can drop it two sizes, tighten the leading a bit and call out the last sentence (by bolding it and/or separating it from the rest of the copy). I also recommend dropping the word 'thinking' to be on the same line as 'skills'. If you find the font no longer works with a sci-fi font for the header, try a condensed font like Futura or Neutraface.

    Welp, that's my critique, I tend to over explain things so I apologize in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot to say excellent job on the subject matter!

    ReplyDelete